|15 August 2022||Health & Nutrition||Gaalkacyo, SOMALIA||Full Time||Save the Children|
Title: IYCF Program Assistant – National Position
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Programme Assistant will be responsible for day-to-day program implementation and managing community outreach activities to ensure efficient and effective sensitisation, mobilisation and participation of the targeted communities and other stakeholders.
Contract Duration: 12 Months
TITLE: Program Assistant- IYCF
TEAM/PROGRAM: Health, Nutrition and WASH
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 months
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Programme Assistant will be responsible for day-to-day program implementation and managing community outreach activities to ensure efficient and effective sensitisation, mobilisation and participation of the targeted communities and other stakeholders
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Health and nutrition project manager
Staff reporting to this post: None.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Operational implementation responsibilities
- Project assistants will be the key frontline staff of Save the Children in the field with direct interaction with the communities.
- With the support of programme officer conduct program awareness, mobilization, enrollment drives, sensitization and beneficiary selection through community meetings at the beginning of the programme
- Assist programme officer in procurement, distribution and utilization of respective programme supplies.
- Organize community meetings and facilitate selection of programme community structures.
- Provide Weekly Progress Update Report as requested by the line manager
- In collaboration with the programme officers, participate in collection of case studies to demonstrate programme impact.
- Ensure proper filling and documentation of relevant program documents.
- With the support of programme officer ensure timely implementation of planned interventions, as per the work plan, budgetary standards and programme quality.
- Support and ensure the implementation of cross cutting issues (Participation, gender, safeguarding, and disability inclusion) by identifying risks, concerns and mainstreaming to programme implementation.
- Promote and advocate children’s rights, document and report child right gaps within the scope of the programme at community level
Technical and thematic Responsibilities
· Supports communities and facility staff on; Community mobilisation & sensitisation, Active case finding (screening) within communities, Follow up of OTP cases, absentees/defaulters.
· Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the various components of the program;
· Liaise with the Community Mobilizer to ensure comprehensive community outreach and mobilization are delivered to the community groups, leaders and authorities on time during program implementation.
· Ensure all facilities have adequate essential medical and nutrition supplies and report six weeks before any stock-out.
· Coordinate referral of emergency cases from communities to health facility and from health facility to hospital and ensure that the ambulance attached to the project is fully operational to support emergency cases to hospital especially during the night.
· Supervise and guide the hygiene promotion campaigns at program target villages and ensuring that community hygiene volunteers shares the monthly report on time.
· Carryout practical handwashing demonstrations at the target villages as well as promoting handwashing practices at five critical times
· Lead and organize interactive door to door hygiene promotion campaigns that will be carried out at the program target locations.
· Promot better hygiene and sanitation practices including proper solid waste disposal, accessing latrines to stop open defecation and and dissemination of public health risks including waterporn related diseases
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of community level activities
- Ensure the quality benchmarks for programme mobilization and sensitization are met
- Work with the MEAL to set up programme complaint response mechanism
- Collect programme data including registration, assessments, baselines, post distribution monitoring surveys and ensure appropriate case management information system
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks
· honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity