|10 February 2022||Project Management||Mogadishu – Somalia||Full Time||Muslim Aid|
Job Title: Head of Programs
Muslim Aid is a registered Islamic faith-based, international non-profit organisation which was established in the UK in 1985. It is a registered charity with the Charity Commission of England and Wales (Charity Registration No: 1176462). The mission and purpose of Muslim Aid is to serve humanity and relieve poverty, through its education, livelihoods, and health development projects, whilst also aiming to respond to emergencies. Muslim Aid Somalia is seeking a senior level position, Head of Programmes, to lead its programmes in Somalia.
Summary of the Role:
The Head of Programmes (HoP) is responsible for the development, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation and reporting of all MA Somalia country programmes and for ensuring these respond to current development and humanitarian trends.
The role will require strategic thinking of the complex situations as well as the ability to take a more ‘hands on’ approach working to overcome issues as they arise in addition, the role ensures ensures resource mobilization, prioritization and allocation, work plan coherence to deliver the Muslim Aid Somalia Country Strategy.
About the Role:
The main responsibilities of this role will be to:
To be successful in this role:
Why you should apply:
If you are self-motivated, with the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy this role is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious Head of Programmes looking to take things to the next level.
You will be joining a supportive, highly skilled, passionate organisation as a specialist in your field. Muslim Aid offer a 35-hour week, flexible working and encourage a healthy work-life balance.
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through: Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
With subject line as application for the position of Head of Programmes – Somalia
Closing Date will be 10 February 2022. We will be initiating interviews on a rolling basis with the aim of identifying an appropriate candidate as quickly as possible. Once a suitable candidate is found, the position will be closed.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all applications regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, faith, or disability
|Job Title:||Head of Programs|
|Location:||Mogadishu – Somalia|
|Reports to:||Country Director|
|Line Management responsibility:||Program Staff|
|Child Safeguarding level:||
We are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children and vulnerable people in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children and vulnerable people are recruited to work for us.
Therefore, this post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure, DBS, or in the event that the employee is not a UK resident, a check to its equivalent in the current residing country will be required.
To lead, develop and manage the program team to achieve the aspirations of Muslim Aid Somalia Country Strategy through Programme Development, effective coordination, consolidation, technical support, and guidance by ensuring a cohesive team spirit and motivation to perform. He/she manages and ensures resource mobilization, prioritization and allocation, work plan coherence to deliver the Muslim Aid Somalia Country Strategy. This role is responsible for working with Muslim Aid Partners and Allies to foster long-term relationship to successfully deliver Muslim Aid program strategy.
01: Programme Planning, Management, and Implementation
• Provide leadership in the development of strategic plans and budgets for all programs in the country.
• Provide leadership to the Programme Team towards achieving the objectives of the Country Strategy of Muslim Aid Somalia.
• Review and ensure alignment of program priorities, strategies and plans to the CSP and the broader Muslim Aid International strategies, plans and campaigns.
• Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team to lead the development of both strategic and operational plans in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and planning guidelines.
• Ensure Muslim Aid Somalia programme activities are grounded, strongly inter linked, and consolidated at the national level in line with Muslim Aid Somalia’s CSP.
• Ensure quality implementation of all projects of Muslim Aid Somalia.
• Ensure learning are documented by the programme team in the most effective way demonstrating value for money.
02: Fund Raising & Donor Relationship Management
• Support the Country Director, in developing and managing relationship within country donors.
• Lead on development of programme ideas into quality grant proposals through a community based, participatory approach.
• Collaborate with the Muslim Aid International Business Development Units to respond to potential funding opportunities in the Country.
03: Program Reviews, Monitoring, Evaluation, Program Learning and Reporting
• Ensure close monitoring of the program works in the field to ensure alignment and contribution to country strategy, monitor flow of information and systemic documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field and lessons learned thereof
• Ensure quality and timely submission of quarterly and annual or required Programme and Project Performance Reports as per desired standards and guidelines.
• Ensure compliance of approved Programme and Project plans.
• Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives
• Represent the organization / Unit in various programme-related knowledge sharing and learning forums, document and share feedback with the team
• Track trends in contemporary development programming and programme management practices, document and provide advice/ recommendations on key developments to SMT/EMT.
04: Partnerships and Networking
• Support Program Managers to strengthen networks in the Muslim Aid Somalia’s collaboration areas.
• Provide support to the networks for building capacity of the partner organizations.
• Support the Programme Managers in strengthening our relationship with the strategic networks and alliances
• Represent Muslim Aid Somalia and participate in network and alliance meetings, events, and forums at national and international levels
• Ensure effective information flow and communication with other stakeholders including partners and international teams
• Ensure effective partnerships at all levels as per standard procedures and guidelines of the organization.
• Coordinate and support review of Muslim Aid partnerships.
• Ensure follow up of partners after reviews and reflections.
05: Financial Management
• Develop, monitor, review and update the Programme department activity, work plan to ensure that it attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible
• Review and approve programme concepts, partner financial requests as per organizational process and procedures.
• Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to program department
• Review programme expenditures from the programme team line staff to ensure conformity to Financial Policies and Procedures Manual (FPPM)
• Monitor and advise on programme and project spending and variance report as per organizational process and procedures.
06: Human Resource Management
• Lead and manage program team to achieve its mandated targets in accordance with annual operational plans
• Ensure an empowering work environment and team building in compliance to Muslim Aid International and Country ‘s values, principles and attitude
• Ensure an enabling environment for staff performance, recognition, and reward of the program team to encourage staff productivity, innovation, and performance (e.g., facilities, equipment, duty facilitation, team building etc.)
• Participate in the review of staff job descriptions and setting of performance standards
• Involves in recruitment of staff under supervision of HR.
• Assigns performance objectives to supervised staff, conducts comprehensive performance appraisal of supervised staff and provides / obtains feedback when necessary
• Ensure that performance records of staff under supervision are submitted to HR on time
• Provides induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice to supervised staff to ensure that they understand and carry out their responsibilities effectively
07: Policy Management and Compliance
• Lead the development and implementation of country-specific guidelines for the management of partnerships in line with the CSP and other relevant organizational policies
• Participate in the review and update of Muslim Aid policies and procedures at country level and advise the SMT on the potential implications of the new system, policies, and procedures
• Implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that correct procedures are followed by staff under supervision
• Adhere/ Comply with approved organizational policies and procedures
• To ensure all records are maintained and stored appropriately in line with MA document management and IT policies.
• To comply with all policies, procedures, legal and regulatory requirements.
• Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.
• Plus, any other, e.g., Travel requirements
Continue to next page for the Person Specification
|Essential / Desirable||Assessment Stage|
|Educated to Master’s degree level in International Development, International Relations or relevant field||Essential||Application|
|Postgraduate degree in international development, Project planning and management, Participatory approaches and methodologies, sustainable livelihoods, humanitarianism, programme management, or equivalent.||Desirable||Application|
|Experience & Knowledge:|
|Understanding of development programmes design, implementation and evaluation.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors.||Essential||Application and Interview|
Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of programmes; using of quantitative and qualitative research data collected in support of programme development.
|Essential||Application and Interview|
|Proven experience and knowledge of effective budgetary control and grant management.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Knowledge of Sustainable Development Goals and their relevance.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Knowledge of SPHERE, CHS and DEC Accountability Framework priorities and other humanitarian/development sector initiatives and standards.||Desirable||Application and Interview|
|Skills & Abilities:|
Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to liaise effectively with people at various levels.
|Essential||Application and Interview|
|Good team work skills with the ability to work with different and sometime conflicting agendas.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Good organisation, coordination and project management skills.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Strong and well-developed analytical skills coupled with experience of writing quality proposals and reports Strong analytical abilities.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|IT literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn and use any software adopted by Muslim Aid.||Essential||Application and Interview|
|Ability to adapt to changing deadlines and priorities.||Essential||
Application and Interview
Ability to work in and with a diverse team.
Application and Interview
|Ability to work under pressure and on own initiative.||Essential||
Application and Interview
|Ability to analyse and assess complex situations and develop policies.||Desirable||Application and Interview|
|Willingness to travel at very short notice.||Essential||
Application and Interview
Commitment to Muslim Aid’s mission, visions and values
|Commitment to Muslim Aid’s ethos||Essential|
|Commitment to equality of opportunity and diversity||Essential|
|Commitment to Muslim Aid’s Child and Vulnerable Adults Policy and Procedure||Essential|
|You will display the competencies below :|
|Team working||Co-operates with and respect colleagues to exceed up and beyond individual efforts.|
|Communication||The ability to listen, express and communicate information effectively.|
|Performance Management||Delivery of organisation objectives through effective setting of SMART personal goals and team goals.|
|Results Focused||Getting the job done in an efficient way through effective time, task and financial management.|
|Leadership||Inspiring, supporting and developing others to achieve outstanding levels of performance.|
|Innovation & Continuous Improvement||Constantly seeking to improve the way business is done through analysis, creativity, problem solving and change initiatives.|
|Please signify your acceptance of this job description by signing below and returning a copy to HR|
|Employee signature:||Employee Name:||Date:|
|Line Manager signature:||Line Manager Name:||Date|