|29 September 2021||Project Management||Mogadishu, Somalia||Full Time||IOM|
Position Title: Technical Advisor
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
The UN Migration Agency (IOM) implements the Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) programme in Somalia through the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
About the Host Institution
The Ministry of Communications and Technology (MoCT) is the lead Federal Government body mandated to formulate national policies, laws and regulations related to post, telecommunications, and information and communications technologies (ICT). Its mandate also includes:
· Overseeing ICT sector standards
· Promoting the development and growth of telecommunication infrastructure and ICT
· Protecting the interests of consumers
· Fostering a knowledge-based economy and information society in Somalia
The Ministry of Communication and Technology is looking for a Technical Advisor to enhance capacity in the Ministry. Key responsibilities include:
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, the MIDA programme requires the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for all assignments:
Level of Education: Master’s Degree
Area of Study: Information Technology
Years of work experience in what area(s): 5-7 years
Languages needed: English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements: Sound knowledge of youth development in ICT issues in developing countries.
· Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal, including the capacity to communicate complex and technical issues in simple terms.
· Proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present and discuss recommendations at senior levels and to produce deliverables such as memoranda, recommendations, requirements documents, and status reports.
· Ability to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines. Demonstrate a high level of motivation, confidence, integrity and responsibility.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; including the ability to work independently, effectively in a team/task force as a team member or leader, and with senior staff and managers.
· Demonstrated ability to listen and integrate ideas from diverse views, create partnerships and collaborate with others, advocate and influence, resolve conflicts constructively, and work effectively across boundaries even without active guidance from the management.
IOM will liaise with the participant, the donor and IOM’s partners to determine an allowance necessary for the participant to be successful in his or her assignment.
Health insurance will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa.
Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host Ministry/ institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background.
How to apply
All applicants must apply to email@example.com, as mentioned on the vacancy announcement. IOM must receive a cover letter and CV before the closing date of the vacancy in order for a candidate to be considered.