|27 January 2022||Health||Mogadishu, Somalia||Full Time||Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS)|
Position: Assistant Fistula Surgeon
|Job Grade:||Band 6|
|Location||Kaysenay Hospital – Mogadishu|
|Reports To and supervised by:||Fistula Surgeon|
|Direct Reports:||Head Nurse|
The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. The ICRC then recognized it in 1969 and became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in the same year.
Assistant Fistula Surgeon is responsible for assisting surgeries on patients with Obstetric Fistula. Their duties include communicating with the patient about the procedure,providing pre and post-operative patient care, and completing surgeries with the assistance of the fistula surgeon, oversee nurses and surgical professionals and speaking with patients after the surgery to discuss its success, the recovery process, and health education including the benefits of contraceptive implants.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Responsiblefor an overview of all therapeutic activities in the hospital, particular to the patients under his/her direct care’.
· To promote and maintain high standards of surgical treatment by advising and supervising the medical employees.
· Responsible for ensuring that the Medical /Surgical care given to the patient is according to accepted ethical standards and that the treatment is based on scientific knowledge and acquired experience.
· To ensure that individual patients files are maintained correctly, with particular reference to the Medical/Surgical notes and treatment plan
· Collect the patient’s medical history,keep the chart and patient information up to date with current test results and treatments.
· Review test results to identify and diagnose medical conditions.
· Develop treatment plans for patient care.
· Address any of the questions or concerns of the patient or their family.
· Aid patients through the healing process by providing post-surgical care and follow up.
· Ensure quality holistic care for fistula patients including rehabilitation and psycho-social support as appropriate
· Collaborate within a team of other medical professionals including monitoring patients’ positions, vital signs, and volume and color of blood during operations.
· Ward Round
· Assist Operating Theatre (OT) planning
· Assist in performing operations
· Assist/supervise OT statistics and documentation.
· Report if any stock needs replenishment.
· Report damaged or malfunctioning instruments to the Fistula Surgeon,
· Observe hygiene, aseptic technique, disinfection practices and correct if necessary.
· NEVER accept dirty surroundings where patients are present.
Educational Qualifications & Professional Training
Job Competencies & Experience
· Demonstrating consistency in upholding integrity and ethics
· Must be committed to the care of women who have incurredobstetric fistula and to upholding women’s basic rights to health, privacy and dignity
· Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
· Team leader with demonstrated mentoring and coaching skills
· Effective communications and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrate openness to change & ability to manage complexities
· Demonstrated conflict resolution skills and ability to manage intergroup dynamics and mediate conflicting interests
· Excellent writing skills, analytical capacity to synthesize project outputs and findings for the preparation of quality program reports
· Maturity & confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking officials
· Remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
· Respond positively to critical feedback and differing points of views,
· Proficiency in computer office packages (word, excel, power point).
· Willingness and availability to undergo rigorous practical trainings outside Somalia followed by subsequent coaching at times to improve his/her knowledge and surgical capacity to treat fistula cases
· Must have a proven track record and strong commitment to caring for women with obstetric fistula
· Ability to contribute to the development and/or revision of fistula treatment standard operating procedures to ensure quality care is provided to patients based on acceptable international standards.
|Language Requirement:Demonstrate proficiency in Somali and English languages|
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CV, cover letter, and copy of their certificates to: email@example.com
Note: applications which do not meet the above requirements will not be considered. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please write the position you are applying on the subject line. If you fail to write it, your applications would not be considered.
Deadline for Applications: January 10, 2021
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.